Wednesday 3 June 2009

Bathtime


Grooming oneself should be a pleasurable thing ..... not something we all rush to do first thing in the morning or at the end of the day.

This thought conjured up a memory from Dominique Brownings memoir Around The House And In The Garden , the raw story of her heartbreaking divorce, healing and home renovations which i read back in 2002, when it was first published. I thought I'd dig it out ....


Dominique Browning (Editor of House and Garden in the USA- no longer in publication), describes eloquently in her chapter Bubble Cathedrals, how the bathroom was one of her favourite rooms in the house and taking a bath "... is one of the most relaxing and gentle way to begin and end a day."

She filled her bathroom with a comfortable armchair, maybe something like this:






"A soft rug, a table to hold special things; a large vase sitting on the floor, full of fragrant flowers; candles burning; a pile of books and magazines."

So it might have even looked like this:

















But my favourite part is when she states that she used to "... start ripping pages from magazines and pinning to the walls poems and paragraphs and pictures that moved me, made me think, caught my breath. Having something to read by the mirror over the sink makes me slow down."

How many of you have ever done something like this? I haven't, but maybe I think I might start.
I think we all need to slow down and smell the roses.........
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails