Tuesday 6 April 2010

Gold and Chandeliers

It's hard not to miss the vast amount of gold around the Palaces ...

















... and the incredible number of chandeliers









Even though the chateau seems monstrously big today, it wasn't large enough for the army of 20,000 noblemen, servants and hangers-on who moved in with Louis XIV.
A new city- a new capital, in fact had to be constructed from scratch to accommodate them and tough thinking town planners dreamed up vast mansions and avenues broader than the Champs-Elysees ... all in the baroque style.

It wasn't until much later when Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette, who preferred to cower in small retreats in the gardens (well out of the chateau's shadow), when the construction of the Grand and Petite Trianon Palaces occurred (the Grand Trianon being my favourite of the palaces).

More tomorrow.
Enjoy
xx

{All images are mine and if you would like to use any, could you please link back to this blog}

16 comments:

  1. WOW, it's incredible! I imagine it would be a bit of a sensory overload? It is a place I hope to visit one day... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh cool, such beautiful pieces

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photos are stunning! How extravagent and beautiful...just spectacular. I loved reading about it too, thank you for sharing!

    xoxoxo
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. All that gold.. sigh! ( new follower! ) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sheer scale and opulence of everything just amazes me Marina, not to mention the history - WOW! Thanks for sharing. Wishing you a wonderful week~ Tina xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous post, j'aime beaucoup.


    Leeann x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous post - lovely images - looks as if you are having such a wonderful time... x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what gorgeousness! Hubby and I got engaged in Paris but vowed that the next time we were in France, we have to go to Versailles! Now I can't wait!

    http://www.invasionista.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Marina,
    Isn't Versailles one of the most amazing palaces. When we went, I just couldn't get over the enormity of it. .... and, as I walked down that great staicase, you can't help but think that Marie and Louis walked the exact same stairs !!.... and the decadence of it was really so obscene, considering the plight of most French citizens.
    Your photographs are stunning, Marina. You have bought it all back to me. I hope that you got to see the town of Versailles as well. Can't wait to see more of your photographs.
    Oh, and many thanks for your comment on my food poisoning !! Those pesky little devils called oysters !! I usually eat them with my fingers crossed but, I must have forgotten this time !! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Marina, what a fabulous few days away you had! I love all your gorgeous photos - more please. Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marina,.,, your photos are drop dead gorgeous.. love your editing style too..

    So glad you have taken me along on this journey.. as I said.. I stupidly opted out of this tour.... well... funnily just the other night there was a doco on tv about Versailles and they mentioned the rebuild to accommodate all the entourage and hangers on... incredible.. can't wait to see more... another beautiful post from you.. thank you xxx Julie

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is just so magnificent. I love your photo's great job!

    a beautiful trip, thank you.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. The gilding, the magnificence, the cost....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Every thing looking awesome.. excellent and attractive. I appreciate of your work. Every thing looking fantastic. Thanks for sharing such an excellent blog.
    custom shirts

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails